ABRA® Abdominal Wall Closure for Fascia and Skin
ABRA Abdominal is a closure device recommended for use as a primary closure technique following laparotomy, to pull together the fascia and skin of the abdominal wall, allowing for simple suturing.
The technique is most often used in complex cases where regular closure cannot be created due to outward pressure of the viscera. A system of button anchors and tensioned elastomers is used to gradually restore normal physiology, reducing length of stay and short term morbidity risks.
ABRA excels in its ability to incorporate continuous Negative Pressure Wound Therapies (NPWT) into the re-approximation of the abdominal cavity, promoting blood flow and accelerating the healing process. The system evenly distributes load weight to prevent pressure wounds and infection risks.
Used with Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT)
Bedside dressing changes
The ABRA® Abdominal Wall Closure is indicated for retracted, full-thickness midline abdominal closure after laparotomy for Abdominal Compartment Syndrome (ACS), abdominal hernia, mesh removal, AAA, or abdominal trauma, and for retention of abdominal wall closure.
The Wound Closure System is indicated for use in controlling, reducing, or closing retracted soft tissue defects.
- The ABRA® Abdominal Wall Closure Set must not be left on for more than 29 days.
- The ABRA® system is not intended to be resterilised or reused. Stresses and fractures may be created during use and resterilisation that cannot be detected by visual inspection, which may prevent thorough decontamination of the product and compromise structural integrity.
- “The Move” is a related technique used to massage the fascial margins, reshaping the abdominal space, and restoring regular physiology.
- Warning: Exceeding 2x stretch of elastomers may cause blistering.
Achieves a low-tension primary closure (up to 92% closure rate)
Maintains domain, or quickly restores lost domain
Eliminates hernia and need for mesh and skin graft
Preserves fascial margins
Restores normal physiology
Reduces OR procedures by 50%
Reduces length of stay
ABRA Abdominal Wall Closure
ABRA Extension Kit
(For wounds longer or wider than 30cm)
Like to know more?
Request a meeting or call with a product specialist.
1. Cinelli SM, Casey MJ, Kuhls DA, Browder TD, Coates JE, Fildes JJ. Early Primary Closure of Open Abdominal Wounds Using the Abdominal Reapproximation Anchor (ABRA®) System. University of Nevada School of Medicine, Division of Trauma and Critical Care, University Medical Center of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, NV. Poster session presented at the Southwestern Surgical Congress, Coronado, CA; March, 2009